Monday, February 25, 2008

In Remembrance

People come and go...as we all know, part of life is death.

Saturday we lost a very special person in this world, Tilman Self. Tilman and his wife Celeste gave me my very first REAL job. It was a job that I loved and one that allowed me to step into the job world without much of a hassle. I have been spoiled by the job world because of the opportunities that they both gave me. I have never had to do retail or be a server at a restaurant and this is all due to the fact that I was able to start in an office setting at 18.

I saw Tilman in the late part of last year on the day I sold my house. I walked into my old office and there he was sitting at his desk just like always! He was in the middle of a meeting, but he stopped the meeting and got up just to give me a hug. I already miss how he called me "darlin". Come to think of it, I wonder if he ever actually called me Jessica.

Celeste, his wife, is like a second mother to me. I love her to pieces! I can’t say enough about what a dear friend she is to me. She and Tilman helped me through so many different things during my early growing up period. Always with a smile, always thankful, always going the extra mile to make sure that I loved my job and that I was enjoying myself. And I did!

I went to school with Tilman’s sons, Tripp and Shane. I was very young though. They were graduating high school when I was barely brushing the edges of elementary school. Shane came back and actually taught me my senior year of high school, then a short year later we were co-workers at his Dad’s business.

Tilman and Celeste would have the BEST Christmas parties you have EVER been to! Always shrimp and steak. As some of you know, I am not a big steak eater, but I could NEVER refuse a steak cooked by Tilman! That was the most tender, most delicious steak I have had, and probably ever will have, in my life!

I remember when I attended Tilman’s mother’s funeral, I had never met her, but I had spoken to her many times on the phone. She was a wonderfully nice woman. She was also a stand-up comedian in her day, which I thought was AWESOME! In any case, I remember seeing Tilman at that funeral and his eyes lit up at the fact that I was there and he gave me the biggest hug and smile, though accompanied by tears. That moment was very special to me. His love for me was very apparent that day and I was thankful to have seen that I too was important in his life in some way.

So to you, Mr. Tilman E. Self, I want you to know that I love you and miss you. You will always hold a special place in my heart and I want to thank you for giving me all the opportunities that you gave me and the love that you shared will never be forgotten. Thank you for touching my life.




For those that care to read more about this man.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...