Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Body Art

As a big fan of tattoos and "body art" (as they call it) in general, I was intrigued to find this bit of publishing. The book is about professionals who have tattoos. Doctors, lawyers...you know, the type of people that you would never THINK would have tattoos - thanks to the general opinion about tattoos and the people who get them. As this book shows, that opinion is changing and the stereotype is well on its way out the door.

I think it would be a GREAT coffee table book. If only we had a coffee table. Why DO they call it a coffee table anyway? They should call it a foot table, cause that is what most of us do with it!

My general rule for my tattoos (five now) is that they need to be in places where I can hide them as well as in places that will not expand. i.e. pregnancy, weight gain, loss

This leaves me slightly limited in my space, though I have tattoos covering my lower back - this area will expand, but hopefully not to the detriment of the tattoos. I have two tattoos between my shoulder blades and one on my ankle right below the malleolus, which I just call "that knobby bone on the inside of our ankle".

As for piercings...too much looks like too much. Unlike tattoos where many tattoos can come together to look really great. For instance, this guy, who apparently really loves him some Nintendo. Great color, good flow of characters. I would rate that pretty bad ass on my tattoo rating scale. The subject matter isn't for me, but the artist did a phenomenal job!

Piercings on the other hand...



CRAZY.

I myself have 10 piercings. This may sound kinky, but most of them are in expected areas. Two on each ear lobe. Two on my left ear cartilage. One belly button, one tongue. And one for each of the lovely lady lumps. I hope my Mother isn't reading this. :)

Back to the subject at hand though...I am at the later part of Generation X and with the last little bit of Gen X growing into their late 20's we are going to see an exponential increase in scaring from earlier piercings, particularly the eyebrow and lebret piercings (not labia as I initially typed...OMG.) I am really looking forward to seeing all those tramp stamps sag and the color fade in our tattoos. Though many will have regrets, most of us will be reminded of a great time in our lives. I know I will.

My motto has always been that I will never look any better than I do today. Nobody looks good with wrinkles...may as well put a splash of color in! (Hit me up in 20 years and I will be sure to put another pic up of what those back tattoos look like then! :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...