Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Time Has Come...

For me to head back to that there knee doc. I get a new one this time. My previous doctors/surgeons were all in Macon. They had been seeing me and my knee since I was about 15 - the time of my first knee dislocation.

My first knee surgery was to remove a quarter size piece of bone that had chipped off when I dislocated my knee. I kept that bone for a long time. It was just interesting. I think I eventually threw it away...either that or my mother has it. She is known to keep such things.

The second knee surgery was to replace the missing bone...this surgery happened almost 5 years later. It was a new technique and basically they punched holes where the bone was missing and then went and got tubular bone grafts from my thigh bone. They placed the punched out bone into the holes they made, and presto chango, my bone grew together and created new bone!

The third surgery required that I get a distal realignment for my patellar subluxations. Basically, they took two screws and bolted down the tendon that holds my knee cap in place so it too would quit sliding off its track.

Very painful. That was the worst of all the surgeries.

WELL NOW, I need to have those screws taken out. My bone has decided it doesn't like them anymore, so it is pushing it out of the bone. This in and of itself doesn't particularly hurt, but when I accidentally hit my knee, even just a little, it is quite painful. Very similar to hitting your funny bone, except imagine your funny bone with a screw that is screwed into your elbow joint and vibrates and sends pain all the way to your shoulder. About the same feeling.

I am excited to see my new doctor though...he is young and probably full of crazy youthful antics (those crazy kids!) As a matter of fact...here is a picture of him:



I didn't get her:



but apparently she is the pain management field. Do I feel a pain coming on...? Why yes, right there...I think I do...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...